Concern for the environment has become a major issue in recent years. “Being green” is on everybody’s minds, with companies as well as individuals doing their best to recycle everything, from paper to shoes, even aircraft and everything in between. And behold, cigarettes can now be added to the list!
Yes, cigarettes are bad for you and their many harmful effects include various forms of cancer. Nothing new there. But did you know that smoking is also harmful to the environment? In fact, the effects of second-hand smoke are so disturbing that many states have passed Clean Air acts specifically to deal with the situation. E-cigarettes are a simple answer to these problems.
The Electronic cigarette, otherwise known as e-cigarette, e-cig or vapor cig, is “an electrical inhaler that vaporizes a propylene glycol- or glycerin- or polyethylene glycol-based liquid solution into an aerosol mist, simulating the act of tobacco smoking” according to Wikipedia. Invented by a Chinese pharmacist in 2000, the product was only awarded an international patent in 2007, which makes it a relatively new product in the United States.
Promoting not only an environmentally friendly stance, but also the option for the user to regulate their nicotine intake, e-cigarettes come in various shapes, sizes and functions in order to appeal to the customers. There are 3 standard designs for electronic cigarettes: a 1, 2 or 3 piece product design.
1. For first timers, the one piece cigarette is a great option since they are cheaper and more convenient. These are not really kits, they are simply a 1 piece disposable unit. They come complete with a pre-charged battery which cannot be recharged, and a nicotine cartridge which cannot be refilled.
These e-cigs are disposables and are therefore not eco-friendly unless disposed of properly.
2. The two piece e-cigarette kit contains a rechargeable battery and a cartomizer (a nicotine cartridge with built in atomizer.) The great thing about the 2 piece design is that you get a fresh atomizer with every cartridge. So you never have to worry about your atomizer dying on you. This also makes it very easy to switch to a different flavor cartridge whenever you wish.
With a rechargeable battery, this is definitely an eco-friendly design, as well as convenient and easy to use.
3. The three piece that make up the last kit are a rechargeable battery, an atomizer and a replaceable nicotine cartridge. Even though it is more expensive and not as convenient as the first two designs, the three piece electronic cigarette kit is the most eco-friendly design since all parts are reusable, not just the battery. However, the atomizers go out quickly, so it is recommended to have another atomizer nearby. And to keep the taste correct, make sure to switch them as you’re switching flavors, seeing as the liquid permeates the atomizer.
Once the optimum design has been chosen, one can move on to the series and model of battery that seem the most appealing. Not to mention the small matter of over 200 liquid flavors to choose from!
Let’s start with some of the series currently available. Keep in mind, this list only covers ecigs that are still relatively similar in size and shape to traditional cigarettes. There are also many categories of new batteries available (and more being designed) that will be covered in a later article.
- The micro E-cigarette is 1.9 inches to 3.9 inches in length. These are the smallest and lightest e-cigarettes to date. There are eight models available on the market at this point.
- The super mini e-cigarette is 3.9 to 4.5 inches long and has the closest similarity to a real cigarette. Eleven models of the super mini e-cigarette can be found right now.
- The mini-cigarette is 4.5 to 5.5 inches long and has five models currently in circulation.
- The pen style e-cigarette is 5.5 to 6.3 inches in length and is the original e-cigarette model. Today, nine different models can be purchased online of this series. The pen-style e-cigarette got its name because it looks like a pen with a cap when attached to the battery.
- E-cigar is the cigar counterpart of the e-cigarette. Although it uses e-smoking technology, this device mimics the look and properties of a real cigar. Nine models can be found on the market as of now.
- The e-pipe also uses e-smoking technology and mimics a pipe. Three models are available at this time.
Because of its relatively new invention, there are not enough studies at this time to substantiate the claim that e-cigarettes can help individuals quit their nicotine habits, although initial studies seem to be leaning in this direction. However, one thing is certain: ecigss are eco-friendly, which is much more that can be said for normal cigarettes.
Concern for the environment has become a major issue in recent years. “Being green” is on everybody’s minds, with companies as well as individuals doing their best to recycle everything, from paper to shoes to aircraft and everything in between. But behold, cigarettes can now be added to the list.
Yes, cigarettes are bad for you, and their many harmful effects include various forms of cancer. Nothing new there. But they are also bad for the environment and the effects of second hand smoke are so disturbing that many states decided to pass the Clean Air Act. E-cigarettes are one answer to these problems.